Bosch DDS181-02 Compact Drill Driver Review
Hello and welcome to my Bosch DDS181-02 Compact Drill Driver Review page.
This tool is brought to you by Bosch, the largest power tool and accessory manufacturer in the world. A popular and reliable brand known by many and engineered for excellence.
An Overview Of The Bosch DDS181-02 Compact Drill Driver
- It comes with (2) Bosch 18-volt lithium-ion batteries, 1.5Ah Slim Pack HC battery and one 30 minute charger. This is the standard light weight option but if you are looking for longer usage time, then you should go for the Flexible Power system.
- This cordless drill comes with a single-sleeve 1/2 inch keyless auto-lock chuck thus making it possible to do one handed bit changes and with LED illumination, it makes working in dark or enclosed area easier.
- It comes a 4-pole open frame motor and newly developed gearbox with 2 speed settings of 0-500 RPM and 0-1,700 RPM, giving a maximum torque of 600 inch-pounds.
- The 18+1 clutch settings and variable-speed trigger allows you to match speed accordingly to achieve the best results.
- Three-year ProVantage protection plan.
What Is Good About Bosch DDS181-02
- It is well balanced, its size and weight is excellent for working in tight space (or lack of), fits in tighter places where depth is an issue.
- Its keyless chuck is great! Easy to change and tighten your tool bits without struggling.
- Quick battery charging time.
- Very responsive and fast braking when the trigger is released.
What Is Not So Good About Bosch DDS181-02
- Although it comes with variable speed, it’s a little difficult to regulate the speed and the tendency of running it at full speed is great.
- The clutch and speed shift is suspect. This drill works well when used at low speed high torque but its’ gears will start to grind when operated at high speed low torque.
- The chuck is reported to wobble and tool bits slippage when pressure is applied when used in driving operations.
- Carry case is a little too big compared with the drill body and no space to store extra drill bits.
Is the Bosch DDS181-02 Compact Drill Driver Kit A Good Buy?
I don’t think the Bosch DDS181-02 Cordless Drill qualifies as a heavy duty power tool for professionals for every day use.
But it certainly serve its purpose as a home DIY projects tool with its great weight balancing and size that allows holding it a different awkward angles that you can easily support and fit into confined space where it would not have been easy for a larger drill.
So if you are looking for a lightweight, reliable drill for your small DIY projects, the Bosch DDS181-02 Compact Drill Driver will suit that role very well.